WEEK 2

 PRACTICAL 

PEN TOOL EXERCISE

Figure 1.0: Masking Process
This week we were instructed by Mr. Chong to mask out Shazam with the pen tool on Photoshop.



 Hearst Mansion Exercise 

In our first class, we were instructed by Mr. Martin Chong to put two separate images  into one (images are shown below). To merge the two different pictures, we were introduced to the basic tools of Photoshop, to name a few, the quick selection tool, free transform, colour match, masks and basic lighting alterations.


Figure 1.1: Hearst Mansion (Background)

Figure 1.2: Shazam 


Step 1: Cutting Out Shazam
To be specific, we were asked to photoshop Shazam into the hearst mansion. As a first step, I used the quick selection tool to "cut out" Shazam from the poster. 

Figure 1.3: Cutting Out Shazam


Step 2: Matching Colours and Lighting
The second step was to place the cut out Shazam to the Hearst Mansion, when he was resized and placed there using Free Transform, I tweaked the lighting and colours by using "Match Colour" and "Levels" to adjust the warm tone to a cooler tone (blue-ish) and adjust the lighting to be a bit darker.

Figure 1.4: Matching Colours and Lighting 


Step 3: Adding Shadows
Moving on to the third step, I added shadows behind Shazam to make it look more believable. As instructed by Mr. Martin, I added a new layer, used the brush tool to paint the shadows, adjusted the opacity of the shadow layer and added Gaussian Blur as a finishing touch to the shadow.

Figure 1.5: Adding Shadows


Step 4: Adding Reflection and Final Touches
Next, to add logic to the picture, we added a reflection of Shazam in the water. After duplicating the Shazam layer and flipping it vertically, I used the Pen tool to created a mask to remove unnecessary parts of Shazam's legs and added a bit og Gaussian Blur to Shazam's reflection.

I also added final touches to remove the extra shine of the inner part of Shazam's boot due the darker lighting around that area. It wouldn't make sense for the boot to shine when it's placed in a darker area.

Figure 1.6: Adding Shadows and Final Touches


Final Outcome of The Hearst Mansion/Shazam Edit

Figure 1.7: Final Outcome (Part One)


Final Outcome of The Hearst Mansion/Self Edit

Figure 1.8: Final Outcome (Part Two)




 LECTURE 

This week we were taught about the importance of Photoshop and the tips of using it.

The Importance of Photoshop:

  • Express your creativity
  • Create graphic design
  • Restoration of old images
  • Integrate graphics with text artistically
  • Make use of brushes
  • Change photo colour
  • Rectify mistakes in photographs
Tips on Photoshop
  • Follow the tutorials
  • Experiment
  • Memorize keyboard shortcuts
  • Try to replicate others work (I personally stand against this point)
  • Participate in design competitions
  • Participate in online galleries
  • Smart objects are useful
  • Scaling artworks and proportions
  • Use actions to personalize work
  • Organise files properly



 TUTORIAL 

Task:
This week we were instructed by Mr. Fauzi to make collage designs, using magazine cut-outs as design elements. For me this exercise is sort of challenging because I love things to be organised, and with this exercise, it pushes my boundaries of being orderly to something that is random and absurd. 

Process:
I started experimenting around by cutting out faces, and separate parts of human faces and tried to re-assemble a "face". It turned out to look scary, it looked like it's made from the stuff of nightmares so I abandoned the idea. You can take a look at the atrocity I've created below. 


Figure 1.0: First Attempt Progress Collage


After that, I abandoned the "face" idea and moved on to find more pictures I could cut out. I managed to find tiger eyes, a guy playing badminton, and two large faces from various university booklets. With those, I was thinking I could use them as main subjects. Sadly, for this part I didn't take any pictures of my progress for documentation, because I was too into producing the work. Instead, I'll post the finishing artworks below.


Figure 1.1: Attempt 2


For Attempt #2, there wasn't any thinking process to it, I just wanted it to look nice. As you can see, the dude is the subject and the flowers and the spikes are kind of contrasting shapes but the colours of the two different elements kind of bring them together. Not to mention, I think contrast of the colours and shapes elevates the appearance of the subject. I deliberately put the flowers behind his neck and the spikes behind his body to accentuate the subject's movement. As for the meaning of this piece, there's not much to it.


Figure 1.2: Attempt 3


For Attempt #3, it kind of has meaning, as you can see the quote, it's about art, my thought process of producing this focuses on "human changes" as mentioned in the quote. For me, the story behind this artwork are the changing elements, like the flowers, the geometrical shape, the animal parts and finally the core element is the human smile. The ultimate meaning of this artwork is the complexity of human beings, like we used to be primitive creatures and now we've adapted to our surroundings (flora & fauna) and technology (geometrical shape).



Figure 1.3: Final Attempt


For my final attempt, I decided to reuse the tiger eyes on a different head, and I chose "science" as the concept behind this artwork. I relatively prefer this attempt, because the tiger eyes fit the person the way I want it to fit. To elaborate, the eyes blend with the person's skin tone quite well and the stripes of the tiger matches the lines of the person's face. As for the word "science", it's satirical in this piece. This piece showcases "science" in terms of the humanoid tiger and the flower represents biology of sorts. Apart from that, the geometrical shape and straight lines represent the other rigid aspects of science.

After consulting Mr. Fauzi, I was advised to put two final artworks as he preferred my second attempt due to the presented movement in the artwork. As for me, I insisted on putting my last attempt as my final artwork. Thus, these two attempts will be my final artwork.


FINAL COLLAGE #1 

Figure 1.4: Final Collage #1


FINAL COLLAGE #2

Figure 1.5: Final Collage #2

Comments